Every spiritual organization should have a clear statement of what it believes and teaches, to guide its mission to the world and help people decide whether it is worth supporting. If a religious organization is to exist at all, it should stand for something about important questions of life, faith, God, and the world beyond.
In the CUA, there are several important spiritual and moral beliefs that we as an organization agree upon and proclaim. This list is short and simple, leaving much room for diversity of thought, personal opinion and conscience, while upholding the basic essentials of the Gospel. Here are the beliefs our organization teaches as truth. Click on the links below each statement to read a short article explaining it.
CUA STATEMENT OF FAITH:
- We believe in God, who is Love, Light, Truth, and Spirit, the Creator of the universe, whom we are called to seek, know, and love; and whose nature was revealed to the world in the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.
- Learn more: Who Is God?
- We believe that the universal commandment is to love and serve one another as we love ourselves.
- Learn more: The Golden Rule
- We believe in the law of justice by which actions generate consequences, whether to be manifested in this life or the life to come; and that love, grace and forgiveness ultimately overcome the law of justice.
- Learn more: Divine Justice and Life After Death
- We believe in the full and final triumph of the grace of God over the powers of sin and death: that the mercy and forgiveness of God are victorious; that this victory of redemption is revealed in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus; and that, therefore, no human being will be condemned or allowed to suffer pain and separation forever.
- Learn more: Universal Salvation
- We believe every person is the divine offspring of God, created in the image of the Heavenly Parent of all; and that every person is destined to be raised up from imperfection to maturity according to the pattern of the archetypal Christ, the Son of God, the Perfect Human in whose image all humanity shall be transformed.
- Learn more: Human Nature and Destiny
- We believe in mysterious spiritual phenomena, such as the resurrection of Jesus Christ, which transcend materialistic views of reality.
- Learn more: The Mystery of Faith
- We believe that God’s Holy Spirit has inspired numerous prophets, saints, philosophers, and mystics throughout history, in a variety of cultures and traditions; and that by reading the Bible and other great texts of spiritual and moral wisdom with a discerning mind, and meditating to connect to the Spirit within, we may all gain a greater understanding of truth, which should be applied for the betterment of ourselves and our world.
- Learn more: Divine Revelation and the Pursuit of Truth
We encourage anyone who agrees with these basic beliefs to join the Christian Universalist Association. Members are free to believe whatever they want about other issues, and to interpret our shared beliefs in their own personal way. We do require all members to pledge that they do not endorse any form of hatred or discrimination based on race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.